LATEST NEWS

W.P. Thompson

Walter Pratt Thompson was voted mayor of Howe for at least nineteen consecutive terms spanning from 1913-1949. Every two years, Thompson would say he wouldn’t run for mayor again, but the citizens re-elected him anyway. It was reported by the Sherman Daily Democrat that Thompson was the longest tenured mayor of any incorporated city in the entire State of Texas. He saw the City of Howe through the roaring 20’s of being the largest grain shipping center in Texas, to the depression 30’s and slow recovery of the 40’s. He was mayor of Howe during both World Wars. He was an advocate of the beautification project and supported the 1940’s project that had Howe named “The Prettiest Little Town in Texas.” The Howe Area Chamber of Commerce hereby names W.P. Thompson to the 2015 Inaugural class of the Howe Hall of Honor.

Jabez Haning

Jabez Haning (1827-1883) came to Grayson County with his family in 1846. In the 1850s, Haning obtained a grant of 320 acres of land from the Peters Colony. His land was located about nine miles south of Sherman. In 1873 the Houston & Texas Central Railway established a line south of Sherman. The route went through the Haning property, and they donated land for a townsite in 1872. That year, the town was renamed from Summit, because of the highest elevation from the Red River to the Gulf of Mexico, to Howe after railroad official F.M. Howe.  The city officially became incorporated in 1874 and it was all because of the generosity and vision of Jabez Haning.